Wednesday 7 March 2012

28TH FEBRUARY 2012 - FREE AT THE POINT OF ACCESS.


28th Feb 2012

FREE AT THE POINT OF ACCESS.

Normally I would have walked up Trafalgar Street without a worry. Today – a few breaks were needed to catch my breath. With no chance of an appointment at my GP I decided to use the Queens Road Health Clinic, Brighton and see someone quickly. An hour or so later I had my five minutes of fame – the amount of time the nurse has to hear my story. It would be five minutes if you didn’t keep interrupting me and let me tell you my problem. After a quick physical examination he disappeared- “back in a few minutes”.
He came back with the calming news- an ambulance is on the way. (Start to panic). “We don’t want you collapsing when you are walking up the hill.” (Another chance to panic) Two Paramedics arrive – (more panic). We have to take you to the ambulance in a chair – (more panic). And still I am having problems breathing – until they plugged me into the oxygen. Nice. The Royal Sussex County Hospital Accident and Emergency Department – very busy place, so join the line. As I lay there on the stretcher enjoying the corridor lights in pain and breathless – I thought, all those tests, injections, blood samples, ultrasound, serious but dedicated people marching around (lots of them) and no one has asked for my credit card. My ability to pay America was not an issue. My need for my health problem to be sorted was paramount. First step is lots of antibiotics – which make me initially, feel worse. – Why?

No comments:

Post a Comment