Wednesday 7 March 2012

4TH MARCH 2012 - MUCH, MUCH LESS PAIN.


4th MARCH 2012

MUCH, MUCH less pain. More sleep. Even more joy was the visit by my sister and two nieces which raised spirits to stratospheric heights. I was last IN hospital aged eight with a broken leg. It feels like a surreal experience being IN hospital now. Normally I am here with my mum, settling her, dealing with her needs. Now I am partly helpless and dependant on others. But I am still keen to maintain my independence.
Medical practitioners are not good listeners. They are good at hearing. To reinforce their opinion, the signs, the symptoms, their hunches and past experience. They then prance on to the next step and with only a few minutes per interaction that’s no surprise. During my hospital stay I didn’t feel really listened to. Even the guy who put sugar on my cereal – seconds after being told no.

No comments:

Post a Comment